Encouraging Women Today

Friday, November 10, 2006

JOY IS A CHOICE


“THE JOY OF THE LORD IS YOUR STRENGTH”, Nehemiah 8:10 tells us. We all want to be joyful, and at times we are, but there are times when we seem to be robbed of Joy. Down through the years I have been a pretty “joyful” person, but there have been times I have lost that joy. Why- when Joy is a choice?

Our neighbor, Jerry, is doing some Home Improvement by replacing windows and putting new siding on the outside of his house. Last week, Jerry was devastated when he found some rotten wood behind the siding. Jerry had 2 choices:
1. Cover up the rotten with the new.
2. Replace the rotten with new wood.
The rotten wood would have caused extreme damage if not replaced. Perhaps wear and tear, rainstorms, or maybe defective wood or work caused the wood to rot. Replacement had to happen no matter what the cost.

If we become a Joyless person we open ourselves up to: doubt, fear, depression and disaster. Where do we start in the process of regaining our Joy?
1. Pray and ask God to help you find Joy.
2. Admit your negative mentality and face what is robbing you of Joy. Don’t blame, take the responsibility to rebuild and regain. Then determine to take steps from God’s Word to correct this situation.
3. Find replacements (in obedience to God’s Word) for whatever has robbed you of joy. Take control of your mind by replacing negative thoughts with positive ones.

There are quick fixes for Joylessness, but the side effects are fatal! Don’t go there!

Nothing can rob you and me of Joy unless we allow it to happen. Joy is ours in spite of people, circumstances, loss, rejection, divorce, or even death. We are human and we do hurt, we do cry, we are sad, but how long we stay there in that condition depends on how quickly we find replacements. Don’t allow your body, which houses the Father, Son and Holy Spirit to collapse. ONE OF OUR GREATEST WITNESSING TOOLS IS JOY!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This reminded me of an email I had received and I copied part of it. It was in an interview on Oprah with Maya Angelou. She is such a simple and honest woman, with so much wisdom in her words!
    Maya Angelou said this:
    "I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."
    "I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."
    "I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life."
    "I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as "making a life."
    "I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance."
    "I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back."
    "I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision."
    "I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one."
    "I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone.
    People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back."
    "I've learned that I still have a lot to learn."
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

    I am not sure that this is part of the interview but the following is how the email ended.....Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

    The holidays are coming, let's be joyful!

    Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home