Encouraging Women Today

Monday, October 02, 2006

BITTERNESS IN RELATIONSHIPS and CIRCUMSTANCES

When I was quite a young woman-in-ministry, I started realizing that ‘bitterness” was usually brought about by relationships. Sometimes it starts in the home with the spouse, the children, the in-laws or just people in general. I determined to stay away from ‘bitterness” because it was not a pretty picture. It brought about sadness, anger, self pity, and depression. All of these things destroy our relationship with God and man.

If we would be honest, the reason we become bitter is because things don’t go our way. Yes, we can call it hurt, or abuse or bad circumstances, but it boils down to looking to someone or something to bring satisfaction to our lives, that only God can bring.

Oswald Chambers says: “we are not built for mountain experiences, those are for moments of inspiration. We are built for the valley, for the ordinary stuff we are in, and that is where we have to prove our mettle.” The valley is where we take on Christ’s character, we must to survive. Every experience that knocked me down took the power of Christ to keep me from getting BITTER. As soon as I took my eyes off of my “offender” and onto Christ, I was able to become BETTER. If I could not get my eyes off of my “offender”, I became BITTER.

Saul was David’s offender, and Christ was David’s source – not Saul. David was in the valley becoming the “man after God’s own heart”. It took a Saul to get the “Saul Spirit”out of David is what I read in Tale of Three Kings. I love that approach, I can then thank God for my offender, because it takes that to get my attention on my source. My source is not man, and neither is yours. Who or what has taken your attention off of your SOURCE? “SEEK YE FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND ALL OF THESE THINGS WILL BE ADDED UNTO YOU.”

2 Comments:

  • At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is so true. When I lost my husband it almost seemed like people tried to cultivate bitterness in my life. Although I know it was not intentional, I do know that it was a tool the devil was trying to use.

    When I would hear people say they were sorry, or it is just not fair. I would have to rise above the self-petty and keep my faith and trust in God and His all knowing power.

    We must be so in touch with God that when bitterness tries to sneak in we are prepared!!

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In our paper this past week, we've seen children and men allowing "bitterness" to drive them to "kill". One shot his principal, another lined girls up to shoot, (this had been brewing for 20 years) and the other just went wild. Bitterness has to be dealt with or it becomes a cancer robbing people of life. How sad!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home