Encouraging Women Today

Saturday, October 07, 2006

DO I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE BITTER?

About three years ago, I met a new friend. The reason I call her “my friend”, is that she has overcome huge obstacles and has never allowed bitterness to corrupt her life. She makes me and everyone she comes in contact with feel special. A year after retirement from teaching, “my friend” had a major stroke which left her paralyzed on the left side of her body. I’m sure she thought her dreams died, and perhaps they did, but she didn’t die and she made new dreams. I love to be around “my friend” because she is uplifting, encouraging and positive. She may have a right to be BITTER, but she is not! She is always on call for anyone who needs a kind word or deed. She wrote a prayer last month that she shared with me, and I asked her if I could share it with you.


BETTIE’S PRAYER

WHEN I THINK OF YOU LORD, AND ALL YOU’VE DONE AND DO, I FORGET ALL THE LITTLE DISAPPOINTMENTS OF MY DAY.

I’M GRATEFUL FOR THE COMFORT THAT COMES FROM YOU.

YOU’VE GIVEN ME SUCH A BEAUTIFUL WORLD, LORD…PLEASE SHOW ME HOW TO KEEP IT, CARE FOR IT, AND MAKE YOU GLAD THAT YOU BLESSED ME WITH IT.

THANK YOU FOR TODAY, LORD, AND ALL ITS POSSIBILITIES. HELP ME TO SHOW MY LOVE IN ANY WAY I CAN AND TO USE THE SPECIAL GIFTS YOU’VE GIVEN ME.

BLESS MY WORK DEAR LORD, FOR ALL I DO IS DONE IN YOUR HONOR. HELP ME TO BE WORTHY TO DO YOUR WORK.

SO MANY REASONS TO LOVE YOU LORD!

THANK YOU, GOD, FOR LITTLE THINGS THAT COME UNEXPECTEDLY TO BRIGHTEN UP A DREARY DAY THAT DAWNED SO DISMALLY—THANK YOU GOD FOR SENDING A HAPPY THOUGHT MY WAY TO BLOT OUT MY DEPRESSION ON A DISAPPOINTING DAY—

THANK YOU, GOD, FOR BRUSHING THE DARK CLOUDS FROM MY MIND, AND LEAVING ONLY SUNSHINE AND JOY OF HEART BEHIND.

OH, GOD, THE LIST IS ENDLESS OF THINGS TO THANK YOU FOR, BUT I TAKE THEM ALL FOR GRANTED AND UNCONSCIOUSLY IGNORE THAT EVERYTHING I THINK OR DO, EACH MOVEMENT THAT I MAKE, EACH MEASURED RHYMAC HEARTBEAT, EACH BREATH OF LIFE I TAKE IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE GIVEN ME, FOR WHICH THERE IS NO WAY FOR ME IN ALL MY SMALLNESS TO ANY WAY REPAY.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bettie is a beautiful and courageous person as reflected by her prayer. Thank you for sharing her faith.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home