Encouraging Women Today

Thursday, January 11, 2007

SISTERS AND FRIENDS 2

A few months ago a friend of mine did some research on the subject of FRIENDSHIPS. I became quite interested in this topic because I knew whenever I took the time to talk or be with a female friend, it just felt good. Most of the time, unless the conversation turned negative, it was like a “shot in the arm” for a gloomy day.

I was privileged to have an older sister, who was my TRUE FRIEND. When Beverly said a curse word, I would adopt that word for my own. When Beverly came out with a new fashion statement, I wanted that same fashion statement. Beverly always had flashy cars and drove fast so of course I followed this example. Beverly cared for other people, especially her family and those who needed special attention. She always put others before herself in life.

If I had any challenge or disappointment, of which I did, Beverly would lift me up, giving me a new way to look at things. I loved my Sis, and she loved me. It just felt good being around Beverly as she understood all of my challenges of “real life” situations. I shared things with her things that I would never share with another human on earth. She cared, understood and wanted to help me achieve all that I could achieve.

She would cry with me, laugh with me, eat chocolate with me, ride around in her convertible chasing fire trucks with me, visit the “down and outers” with me, dress up on Halloween with me, talk with me until we had a solution, encourage me to become all I could in spite of myself and always helping me turn negatives into positives. She had a way of turning everything into a “party”.

I remember a time when my Sis got bogged down with Life Challenges of her own. There were happenings in her family that broke her heart and got her down on herself. I remember by this time, I was an adult female, and had learned what women need to hear and what to do. First of all I fixed her a big HOT FUDGE SUNDAE with lots of hot fudge, whipped cream and of course a cherry on top. Next I proceeded telling her all she had done for me in life. My next step was to “lift” her up to an encouraging level. I remember thinking, “she is not budging”, she has “hit bottom”, and I don’t know what to do. Beverly loved God, but hadn’t learned to “release” the heavy burdens of life to Him. (I’m still learning how to do this). All I could do at this point was to take her hands in mine and say a simple prayer. My prayer went something like this:

“Dear Father in Heaven: I know you are there, and I know you know exactly where Beverly is right now. Come down into her life and touch her with just a touch from the Master’s Hand. Give her relief from this heavy burden she is trying to carry. You know every situation and detail of this burden, and we can do nothing, but YOU can. If she has no FAITH right now, I have enough FAITH to believe in YOU to come down now to answer this huge challenge. Thank you Jesus. Amen

I cannot say there was immediate action or reaction, but I can tell you a CONNECTION was made between “my Sis and me along with God and us.” I truly had enough faith because I was desperate. It was devastating for me to see my Sis in a faithless condition when she had always been the one there for me. This is when I learned the emotional drain that Beverly had put in for me. I knew I was taking the mantle from her at this point. “Thank you Beverly for being there for me in teaching and training me to try to carry on your most precious gift”.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger trisha said…

    WOW!! How Beautiful was that. Sharon, I'm so happy that God has blessed you and Pastor with continuing ministry. Having not seen or spoke with you in some time now & then to hear from a mutual friend of ours, that we recently saw for dinner, I could hardly wait to get to this sight. Then to read your inspiring words of encouragemnent, well I was a little overwhelmed to say the least. Thank you "Sister", that even though the miles may seperate, God's word, and blessings through his people are closer than ever. Sometimes it really is the little things, that make a big defference. I will pray for you and your family. So happy to hear Tiffany & Vince's news, "another miracle", praise God. Love you and hope that we can e-mail or talk soon. Love, Trish Doerr

     

Post a Comment

<< Home